WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Smith's Store/Hotel
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat May 04, 2024 10:44 pm by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot Bar_leftLetters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot BarLetters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot Bar_right 
Matthew Turl
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot Bar_leftLetters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot BarLetters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot Bar_right 
Hobbes
John Young
Petty Officer Tom
ADMIN
Stefaan
aussie inkosi
General Gordon
New topics
» Smith's Store/Hotel
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» Zulu "Corps"
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat May 04, 2024 6:50 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Fairlie's Native Police
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm by Hobbes

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot

Go down 
+3
littlehand
90th
ADMIN
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ADMIN

ADMIN

Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot Empty
PostSubject: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 pm

http://www.archive.org/stream/lettersofmajorge00hartuoft#page/n7/mode/2up

I think is odd that he does not mention Rorkes Drift !!!!

Zulu War From page 99 to 175
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
90th

90th

PostSubject: fitzroy-hart   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 3:20 am

hi pete ,
Thanks for the link, i have been looking for a copy of this for a long time , you cant buy it anywhere.
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters Of Major - General Fitzroy Hart - Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:23 am

I've been reading this book for months ! , and have come across some interesting titbits which I'll share in the next day or so ,
Fitzroy - Hart was also involved in the Ashanti war and was at the Battle of Nyezane and spent a little time at Eshowe before being ordered back to Ft Pearson by Pearson .
Cheers 90th  agree 
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters of Maj- Gen Fitzroy Hart - Synot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:44 am

I seem to recall someone posing the question a long time ago of how were the messages delivered during the Zulu War ,
here is Fitzroy- Hart's version of such from Eshowe . If anyone has his re-print book ( Sorry Springy ) it's on page 144 .
For those who dont ............. '' At first , Colonel Pearson used to send his letters rolled up in the inside of a reed , but later , they were more securely hidden , thus ; the iron plate was unscrewed off the foot of the messenger's rifle , then a hole was bored into the butt , at the part that was covered with the metal plate , the letter was put in the hole and the plate screwed on again . When two messengers went together , each had a copy of the letter thus hidden in the butt of his rifle ''.
Cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters of Major - General Fitzroy Hart - Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:55 am

This has probably been covered but here Fitzroy Hart - Synnot describes the rounds carried by each individual .
This was stated by F.H.Synnot page 158 . Letter is dated 13th August 1879 so it's after the battle of Ulundi .
'' We take 200 rounds of Ammunition for each soldier ; he carries seventy himself ; two mules follow every company with thirty rounds more for him , and the carts following with the baggage carry the remaining hundred ''.
cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters of Major - General Fitzroy Hart    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 8:23 am

Here is F.H-Synotts take on the capture of Ceteswayo , F.H-Synnot states there that there was no way of knowing how long the pursuit of Ceteswayo may have gone on but for his whereabouts being disclosed to the British by his own people .
'' He was taken on the 28th instant by Major Marter ( Kings Dragoon Guards ) . I believe it is decided that the credit of the capture is due to Lord Gifford . Gifford , who was the most pertinacious of all the pursuers , having several times nearly caught the King , at last marked him down at a certain Kraal . He decided to wait till dark to approach , lest the king , whose look-outs would discover him , should get the alarm in time to escape into the wood . But Gifford sent the information of where the king was to another party . This information , it appears , fell into the hands of Major Marter , who with his party was on the wooded side , not knowing in the least where the king was . He at once closed on the kraal and made the capture . With Major Marter , was my interpreter , Mr Oftebro , who knew the king well personally . Ceteswayo's first expression was surprise at his being caught at that side . He did not think horses could pass on those hills . Then he requested that he might be shot at once.
Later on he became in very good spirits , Mr Oftebro tells me , and made jokes at Mater's expense . For instance , alluding to the strong guard Marter kept upon him , he said to Mr Oftebro ;- '' I am just going out of the hut for a minute , but before I go out , tell your master to put a ' company' ( using the english word ) here , and a 'company' there , and a 'company' there '' ( pointing with his finger all around ). And then he laughed at the precautions he thus burlesqued . Another time , he told Mr Oftebro that when the cavalry were very inconveniently close in pursuit of him , he happened to have eight horses , so he gave some of these to some boys , and told them to ride away across the open to a certain bush and there dismount and escape . This they did . The ruse worked splendidly , and away went Major Barrow and his horseman as hard as they could go , while the king moved leisurely to another kraal in the opposite direction . Ceteswayo laughed a good deal as he told the story '' .
cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 8:30 am

A Zulu with a sense of humour!
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters of Major - General Fitzroy Hart - Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 8:38 am

On page 169 he describes his uniform in a letter dated ; 31st Aug , Ulundi .
'' The state of my clothing has long called loudly for peace . I will not say much about it , because I know this gives rise to laughter , whereas it is more properly a subject for tears . Every device that engineering can suggest has been applied inside my garments to keep them together , but they are in that state in which engineers pronounce a bridge or house unsafe . They may fall into ruin at any moment by any sudden and injudicious movement on my part , such as a gesticulation of joy at the prospect of returning home . I had to dine with with Wolseley with one knee out in the open air ! . A new knee had been put in , but it had been taken from that which remained , and the rent was made worse . Well it was that he said to me , '' come as you are. ''
I could push my finger through my flannel shirt , but I dont . It is immaterial whether I put my socks on through the toe or through the ankle , they are equally open both ways . My Staff Patrol Jacket had loops of braid , which have now come in useful to tie it together - the hooks and eyes being no more .
Cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters Of Major - General Arthur Fitzroy Hart - Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Another interesting observation from Arthur Fitzroy Hart - Synnot , the 19th Century thinking certainly has changed , but the results haven't !. Shocked.  For those who have the Re-print it's on page 203 .
'' You have no conception what running is until you have seen a Zulu or Kaffir do it . There was a notion that natives could only beat white men on foot at very long distances . This idea was blown into rags by an experiment - I think it was during the Zulu War - When at certain Athletic sports some of the best races were thrown open to the Natives , and the result was that short race or long race , the natives simply ran clear away from the white men , leaving them nowhere ''.
Cheers 90th  Salute 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Cheer's 90th, i loved every minute of that! its as
i always say.. 'nothing is really new', get through
the flowery language of the time and his word's
have that common touch that we all recognize!
i have a few officer biography's but this sounds
out of the ordinary, exquisite detail's..yes the
king aside from his understandable melancholia
could produce flashes of his obvious sense of
humour.. i have been after a copy of this for a
long time and there is one to hand but i will wait
and no doubt in time i will ( if favoured ) secure
a copy..as you know i'm jealous in the extreme
and curse you, but with a smile..well done mate
its where it belongs.. xhosa
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Anymore 90th  Salute 
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters Of Major - General Fitzroy Hart Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am

Hi CTSG
No , there are other bits and pieces but the book starts with his Birth in 1844 ( no , he didnt write about it !  Joker ) and finishes according to the index in 1910 , covers his time in the Ashanti War , AZW , Egypt , Boer War , it's well worth a read , I've had a quick look and you can get it for about 10 - 12 quid .
90th  You need to study mo 
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters Of Major - General Arthur Fitzrot Hart - Synnot    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi CTSG
Here is a part from near the end of the book , rather sad really , thought you may appreciate it ctsg .
In 1910 , though apparently in his usual health and spirits , a slight accident made it neccessary for him to consult his
physicians , who advised a small operation . This was done successfully on the 25th April , and for some days all went well
; but on the 28th unforeseen complications of an alarming nature arose , and on the evening of the 29th he died from the effects of the operation , in the presence of his younger son and elder daughter . On his return from the South African war his tenants met him joyfully and drew the carriage home . Eight years later they came again en masse to meet him - this time to pay their last respects by following the gun carriage which , escorted by deputations from the regiments which had formed the '' Irish Brigade '' in the South African war , bore his remains to their last resting place . Thus , on the 4th May 1910 , in a grave lined with Primroses , which the school children had picked , he was laid to rest at Ballymoyer on his 66th Birthday .

There wouldnt be to many famous people who'd pass away on their Birthday  Shocked 
Cheers 90th

Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 11:36 pm

OBITUARY.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 4th May 1910.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Letters of Maj - Gen Fitzroy Hart    Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 am

For those who like to read books , this is worth reading .
90th
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot   Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot EmptyThu Sep 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Belfast Weekly Telegraph - Saturday 07 May 1910

Illustrated London News - Saturday 07 May 1910
Back to top Go down

Letters of Major-General FitzRoy Hart-Synnot
Page 1 of 1