WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2024 10:40 pm by Matthew Turl

» Zulu "Corps"
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2024 10:44 pm by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 Bar_leftZulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 BarZulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 Bar_right 
Matthew Turl
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 Bar_leftZulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 BarZulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 Bar_right 
Hobbes
John Young
Petty Officer Tom
Stefaan
aussie inkosi
General Gordon
New topics
» Zulu "Corps"
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2024 6:50 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Fairlie's Native Police
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm by Hobbes

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Zulu - spot the mistakes

Go down 
+13
DundeeBoer
barry
Richie
garywilson1
Chard1879
tasker224
Frank Allewell
ymob
90th
TOWERBOY
Mr M. Cooper
littlehand
JohnB
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Bravo Barry

But Pascal, he is too fond of military history to enjoy a movie or TV series ...

Even for the wargame, it's the same, 90% of the players love only the game systems and have no real taste of something exact historic uniformology, real tactical rules , real firepower ect ...

Result a terrible decline of historal culture among players who do not want to get tired for looking the reality and on the wargames tables, it gives anything like in the movies...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
DundeeBoer

DundeeBoer

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 pm

So back to mistakes. How about the crew member in the white boiler suit walking out of the stable and around the back during the redoubt scene? I heard he was from Llanwrtyd Wells…just kidding he was local.

Jeff
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 am

Good post Barry, I agree with what you say about these film makers, they do take some great liberties with events from history, so I will also (like Pascal), say Bravo Barry.

tasker. Artistic licence and someones own interpretation of actual facts is misrepresentation, and misrepresentation is making DELIBERATE MISTAKES in order to mislead people into believing their version of events rather than the actual historical events that took place. Not all that long ago littlehand posted on the forum a write up about Endfield and Baker, and the film 'Zulu'. In the write up it stated that Baker had a score to settle with the English, and he saw his chance with this film (anti English?). I answered my friend Bill and said no, because I have Welsh ancestors and relatives and also Welsh friends, maybe you missed reading that bit. Regarding the capture of the enigma machine, yes, we all know that it was the Royal Navy that captured it from a German U-Boat, and I tend not to watch the tripe churned out by Hollywood, they seem to think that they have a right to alter historical facts at the drop of a hat, so maybe Baker and Hollywood have something in common, ie; they both try to alter historical events that are not theirs to alter.
Back to top Go down
barry

barry

PostSubject: Spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 am

Hi Martin,

Have you any idea which film company would be likely to take on the remake.

regards

barry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:21 am

Hi all

The filmmakers do this, because they find that actual events are not spectacular enough for their taste but also just because they take the audience for idiots...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
barry

barry

PostSubject: Remakin Zulu   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Pascal,

Point taken, but if some of the real detail of the various actions occuring around Isandlwana 133 years ago were portrayed on film, the audience would be spellbound, not with fiction, but with fact.

regards

barry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Barry

This is not about to happen, because the colonial war is very unpopular today, thank you god ...
Look your pm & e-mail,please...

Best regards

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Barry

To be honest, I can't think of any film companies that would be best for the job. But who ever did take on the task, they would need to do some proper research and get the historical facts correct, and give the viewing public the true facts of events at Rorke's Drift, and not a load of made up, far from the truth fiction based on someones own biased interpretation of events in their attempt at trying to con the public and alter historical facts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Martin

If the film told the true facts, the producers would go bankrupt...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Pascal

You have a good point there.

Which just goes to show that most of todays 'modern society' would prefer to watch a fake load of Hollywood type bunkum, rather than get better informed by being given the true historic facts, I suppose it could be a case of simple things entertaining simple minds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 pm

My dear Martin

It's like my figurines I'm making my figurines of the British infantry of the first invasion in a way that has never seen and will never be seen on a table, players of this historical period will screaming to heresy ,but alas for them, my figures are hyper realistic, since I am very documented, but not a manufacturer has thought about what I'm doing ... I exult in advance ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
bill cainan

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Martin

The problem you would have in a remake is determining exactly what is the "truth". The debates on this site and on rdvc site clearly illustrate that there are many intepretations of exactly what went on. We just don't have sufficient primary sources to make a definitive remake - particularly on Isandlwana. The evidence that we do have can be fragmentary and clearly open to debate/dispute. I'm sure I would find fault with a Martin Cooper remake, as I'm sure you'd find fault if I re-wrote the script !!!

For example you said somewhere above that the 24th would never have sung "Men of Harlech" - how do you know that ? Are you certain ? A colleague of mine has recently being doing some research and has found out that Regiments used to sing many different songs as they marched, and not necessarily using the "correct" words. And would you believe, there is a reference to the 4th Regiment of Foot (The Kings Own) marching along in Zululand singing "Men of Harlech", though perhaps with some different words !

One thing I've learned over the many years studying the Anglo-Zulu War is to be careful in making definitive statements. There will always be someone with greater knowledge who has the facts to disprove what you say. It's even worse when definitive statements are made based on one or two secondary sources, and "Zulu" is probably the most quoted secondary source on the AZW. "Zulu" was not made as a documentary, but as an enjoyable piece of entertainment (based loosely on a factual event) and it should be taken as such. I believe someone once counted up to 140 errors in the film - but does it matter ? No, of course not. We, with an interest in the AZW owe Stanley Baker a great deal, for without him (and Donald Morris) the war would have just been another forgotten colonial war. This site would not exist. We would not have the plethora of books, and the Brecon museum would be a very quiet place !

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Bill

People know that war can be thanks to these two films, but if they have not dug over, he made ​​a bad idea ...

There are no more stupid a person to whom you ask "if it knows a particular history" and you replied, "Yes, I saw the movie ..."

The historical cinema is good for cretinized people, for me,it's in 1976 I discovered this war with the little book of Angus McBride (MAA No. 57) and when I saw "Zulu Dawn" and "Zulu" by then I almost choke me, but now it's two films are always a good opportunity for me to laugh when I look ...

And if another movie was made on the subject of our day, it would still be a joke. We saw this with the four white feathers ...

Best regards

Pascal
Back to top Go down
TOWERBOY

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:36 pm

scratch u :joker: :lol:
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Well said Bill, couldn't agree more.
Zulu must have been enough of a challenge to write and produce. Zulu Dawn must be even more inaccurate. The portrayal of say Pulleine's death alone for example, as being shot in his tent whilst doing his paperwork. There are numerous accounts of his death, so which one do you go with?
As Bill says, any remake and every remake, is going to have its detractors.
Zulu is a film. A classic film, even with all the mistakes. But that was film making in the 60s! (Remember the vapour trail over Raquel Welch's head in One Milliion Years BC?) Who cares?
If you think you can make a "better" film than Stanley Baker, then go and do it. And good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Zulu - Spot the mistakes    Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am

Hi All .
Bill I couldnt have said any better . Tasker , agreed once again , in referance to the '' Vapour Trail '' I didnt manage to look at the top of the screen ! , I was enthralled by what was on the screen proper !. Shocked Shocked .
cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 12:53 am

Hi Bill

Hope you had a good time over Christmas and the new year, and glad that the IE problem is sorted out for you, things worked ok on firefox, the problem was just with IE I think. Yes, I understand what you mean about some of the problems in remaking the film, but surely, with the help of some of the well known Zulu war historians, and some far better research than Bakers team did, a more truthful and a lot more accurate and historically correct version could be made without all the deliberate falseness and pretence of so called 'artistic licenece' that Baker used for his own biased version of events. I had to laugh when you said about men singing all sorts of songs (but with different words), it reminded me of how we used to put other words to songs at the time, ah yes, those were the days. The reason why I said that they would never have sung 'Men of Harlech' is because the 24th's song was 'The Warwickshire Lads', but ok yes, I suppose that they might have sung their own version of it, but it is a bit of long shot. We all know that there was no chior and that the 'sing off' in the film never happened, was it done so that Ivor Emmanuel could sing it (also with altered words) to add to the Welsh theme of the film and further con the public into believing that the 24th was a Welsh regiment? I am surprised that you ask 'does it matter' regarding all the errors, you know as well as I do that there are many people who think that what they watch on screen is what actually happened, and that many people still believe it to be true, so yes, of course it matters. If you are going to make a film about an heroic event from history, then at least get it as factual as possible without all the falseness and pretence. Baker could have done this and the film would have been just as entertaining (even more so) if it had been more historically correct, and would have been classed as one of the best films that accurately depicted one of the greatest defensive actions fought during the AZW, and even more people would have got interested. But through all the falseness and 'artistic licence' of one mans bias views (because he had a score to settle with the English), it will always have the bones picked out of it. So whoever takes on the job of remaking it, they should employ some of the well known AZW historians to give them the real historical facts, and then we might just end up with the true version of events that took place at Rorke's Drift, and get a truly classical and historically correct film without all the make believe.

Bill, there is a new member called Linterbug wanting some information on Samuel Walker, I pointed them in your direction at the museum, so they might pm you.

Martin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:08 am

So toweboy you found the documentary?

Ah !Ah !Ah ! scratch u :joker:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
bill cainan

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 am

Martin

I think you missed the point I was making ! It is unlikely your "well known Zulu Historians" would agree - you only have to read their books to see the different intepretations.So, which eminent historian(s) would YOU pick to re-write the film script ? Whover you pick, you will find three others who will disagree with him.

When Ivor Emmanuel starts the men off singing "Men of Harlech" in Zulu, nowhere does it imply it's the regimental march. The fictional character (who is clearly Welsh) is asked to sing a song to complement and respond to the Zulu chant, so why wouldn't he sing "Men of Harlech" or any other popular song of the day ? It's clearly an inspiring song and fits in well at that point in the film.

I think you are reading far too much into Stanley Baker's motives. You say "because he had a score to settle with the English" - where on earth is your evidence for this ? Have you read Sheldon Hall's epic "Zulu - with some guts behind it" ? In some 430 pages, it will tell you all you need to know about the background to the film - a much more detailed analysis than say in Paul Raby's recent "Zulu - The Truth Behind The Film".

You focus on the degree of Welshness in the film, which of course is open to intepretation,. But what about the errors in detail, which are NOT open to intepretation? Chevrons on the wrong arm; Csgt Bourne wearing the rank of a LSgt; the wrong equipment; etc, etc, etc. Do these technical errors spoil our enjoyment of the film ? I think not.

For all its faults, "Zulu" is an epic film that has stood the test of time. It has, for nearly half a century, brought a general awareness of the Anglo Zulu War to the British public. There can not be many people in Britain who have not heard of Rorke's Drift ! So well done Stanley Baker - da iawn !

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am

Yes Bill but if People know that war can be thanks to these two films, but if they have not dug over, he made ​​a bad idea ...

There are no more stupid a person to whom you ask "if it knows a particular history" and you replied, "Yes, I saw the movie ..."

The historical cinema is good for cretinized the people, for me,it's in 1976 I discovered this war with the little book of Angus McBride (MAA No. 57) and when I saw "Zulu Dawn" and "Zulu" by then I almost choke me, but now it's two films are always a good opportunity for me to laugh when I look ...

And if another movie was made on the subject of our day, it would still be a joke. We saw this with the four white feathers ...

Best regards

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Bill

There is one thing that ALL the well known AZW historians would have to agree on, and that would be that the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) regiment was NOT a Welsh regiment, so that would be the first lot of fiction that has always misguided the public out of the way. And I think that with the officers and other reports of what happened at Rorke's Drift, the historians could well come to some sort of agreement on how to depict FACTUALLY these events. One of my first choices would have to be Ian Knight, another would have to be Julian Whybra, and perhaps a couple of others for good measure, so I think that those historians between them could come up with a far more historically accurate and non fictional version of this classic film.

You are getting it wrong Bill, Ivor Emmanuel wasn't just asked to sing a song in response to the supposed zulu chant. Baker came up to the fictional Welsh 'Owen' character and asked if the WELSH could do better (thereby adding to the Welsh theme of the film), why didn't he say can the British do better? And why did 'Owen' chose M o H rather than another rousing song of the day? because it was written in the script to have a Welsh song to continue with the myth that the 24th was Welsh, and to keep the Welsh theme of the film.

If you look back on the threads, you will find that a write up about Endfield, Baker and the film zulu, was posted on the forum by littlehand. In the write up it stated that Baker had a score to settle with the English, and that he saw his chance with this film (anti English?).

Bill, as I have said before, I have not got Sheldon Hall's book, I will have to keep an eye open for it.

The Welshness is "open to interpretation", come on Bill, which film are we talking about here? the Welshness is there for all to see (and hear), it's full of it. And yes, the film is also full of other mistakes, errors, falseness, artistic licence, etc, etc, and it is all very misleading for the public, but let us not forget that most of it was done to give the false impression to the people that the 24th was a Welsh regiment.

I have already said that the film is a classic and that a lot of people have got interested in the AZW by watching it, but again, it has mislead many, many people into believing that what they see and hear is what actually happened, and it is therefor guilty of misrepresentation of a very important historical event from the Anglo - Zulu War of 1879, that was fought for and defended by the 24th foot (2nd Warwickshire) regiment, but who's name is NEVER mentioned, but to who the honour and glory that this gallant action rightfully belongs.

So any new film that is made, should give back that honour and glory to the men of the regiment that fought so bravely at Rorke's Drift, and that regiment was The 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of foot, and NOT some fictional make believe Welsh regiment from Bakers own bias views.

You may think that Baker did a good job with this all but fictional version of events, but for those people that want the historical facts, he has misinformed them, misguided them, and mislead them. So the film should be remade, TRUTHFULLY.
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Martin. Go back throught his thread and read it ALL again. It is clear that you either haven't read or understood what each contributor has written.
You continue to miss every point, entirely!

One "mistake" which is a point of fact, is that the name of the 24th Foot in 1879 was the Warwickshire Regiment. Of the 122 men of the 2/24th who defended Rorkes Drift, only 4 of these men were from the County of Warwickshire itself. This mistake was quite correctly rectified in the 1881 Carden Reforms of 1881, when the name was changed to something more appropriate to the recruiting region and the geographical location of the regimental depot. The South Wales Borderers. Once again:

"Of the 122 soldiers of the 24th Regiment present at the Battle of Rorke's Drift, 49 are known to have been of English nationality, 32 were Welsh, 16 were Irish, 1 was a Scot, and 3 were born overseas. The nationalities of the remaining 21 are unknown."

Further to this, according to Norman Holme, only 4 of these men were from the county of Warwickshire itself.
(Source: Norman Holme (1999) The Noble 24th p. 383)

Last edited by tasker224 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm

tasker, with respect, I think you are the one that should go back through the thread and read it all again, as it appears that you are the one that has neither read it all nor understood it.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh, I see that the post has been edited to include the 'incredibly unreliable' figures from Norman Holme.

Again let me point you to the figures that were posted by Julian, read them and quote them rather than this 'incredibly unreliable' stuff by Norman Holme. And another thing, it would not matter how many of the men of the 24th at Rork'es Drift came from Warwickshire, that would not alter the fact that the 24th was called the 2nd Warwickshire regiment, so don't try using the excuse that because only 4 of the men of the 24th that defended Rorke's Drift came from Warwickshire, that this justified changing the regiments name because 15 of them came from Wales, that is a very silly remark to make, I could try that on by saying that because 16 came from Ireland that they should have changed it to an Irish county name, rediculous.

Stop quoting Norman Holme, you know you are totally wrong using those figures, and you also know that Julian said that his figures were 'incredibly unreliable', and start quoting the figures that Julian posted on the forum, there were over 75 from England, 15 Welsh, 16 Irish 1 Scot, 3 overseas to English parents, and 21 not yet known.
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, no, Norman Holme is a giant on the topic of the AZW. The man has dedicated decades to researching the 24th Foot, so it is wrong of you to dismiss his work because it is contrary to what you want to believe.
You prefer to use Julian's interpretation of the data because it suits your view point. They are just 2 differing interpretations of the same data, neither of which can be proved either way.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Don't you mean that you prefer to use 'Norman Holmes' data because it suits your point of view.

You know that Julian said that the figures he used were 'incredibly unreliable', yet you still quote them to support your point of view.
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 pm

If you like, yes.
As you know Martin, scientists, historians, witnesses to an accident, fans debating a controversial refereeing decision, can look at and see the exact same item/incident and form totally opposing viewpoints, depending on their bias.
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, it is how the world works.
I completely respect your opinions Martin and I hope you respect the opinions of others.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 pm

tasker

I do respect other peoples opinions, but that does not necessarily mean that I agree with them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 am

Hi all

Sorry, but Julian is an outstanding historian and he said no bullshit, it ...

I learned a ton with it, such that there were 155 or 158 to RD defenders and not 139, as stated in articles, books, ect ...

Forbidden to touch Julian who is a historian, he ...

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 am

Of course, the really burning question is: how many men from Warwickshire were in the 24th (2nd Warwickshire)?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:13 am

Probably less than than the number of English men in the English cricket team Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am

About four men were born in Warwickshire that fought at RD, but I cannot see what is so really burning about that, it would not make any difference how many men were born in Warwickshire, even if none were born there, the name of the regiment would still be the 24th foot (2nd Warwickshire) regiment.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 am

4, Hmmmm I was right
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am

Hmmmm, I wonder how many white south africans actually originate from there?
Back to top Go down
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 am

springbok9 wrote:
Probably less than than the number of English men in the English cricket team Very Happy

:lol:
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am

Martin
All of them mate, nobody would be mad enough to come here.............. look what happened to the last lot (1879)
Back to top Go down
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 am

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
even if none were born there, the name of the regiment would still be the 24th foot (2nd Warwickshire) regiment.

I hadn't realised that was ever seriously in question ...

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Ellis

If you had read the earlier posts on this topic, you would have seen that of the men of the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) regiment that fought at RD, there were 16 Irish, 15 Welsh, 1 Scot, 3 born overseas to English parents, 20 or so unknown, and over 75 Englishmen, and that of those, 4 were born in Warwickshire, so I can't see the point in asking again?

The question of the nationalities of the men that fought at RD was kindly answered by Julian back in December, however, the debate went on a little longer, but was all amicably sorted out between everyone concerned in January. If you are attempting to re-kindle the embers, then I would suggest that you read back through the threads, and you will see that all concerned came to an amicable agreement. Trying to re-stoke a roaring blaze would not be the done thing, as we all want to remain friends on this forum, and not be at loggerheads with each other.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Come on springers old chap, I thought you said that you originated from Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England. scratch

I didn't know that there was another one called exactly the same in S.A. Shocked Suspect

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Arr hmmm yes quite. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
If you had read the earlier posts on this topic, you would have seen that of the men of the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) regiment that fought at RD, there were 16 Irish, 15 Welsh, 1 Scot, 3 born overseas to English parents, 20 or so unknown, and over 75 Englishmen, and that of those, 4 were born in Warwickshire, so I can't see the point in asking again?

And if you had kindly read my post, you'd realise that I hadn't "asked again".

Quote :
Trying to re-stoke a roaring blaze would not be the done thing, as we all want to remain friends on this forum, and not be at loggerheads with each other.

Which was, of course, no part of my purpose.

This is now the second time I have been flamed on this site in the brief time I have been visiting, and it would appear that good humour is unfortunately lacking in the genomes of one or two of you. Best I pull out of here, I think. "Well chin-chin ... do carry on with your mud pies".

Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm

Gents. Can we lose the attitudes. If you can't respond to comments in a polite manner, don't respond at all. We don't want to lose members because they don't see your point of views. Debate nicely
Salute
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
tony1879

PostSubject: Re: Zulu - spot the mistakes   Zulu - spot the mistakes - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 7:14 am

The biggest error in "Zulu" -at least to me- was its curiously jaundiced portrayal of Otto Witt.  I like Jack Hawkins, but it seems his talents were not fully utilized because he was straitjacketed into an annoying, predictable caricature.  I cannot help but wonder if Witt's fictional counterpart was meant to be a slam at pacifists?
Back to top Go down

Zulu - spot the mistakes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2